Tuesday, August 17, 2010

First of First

Today is Katie's 1st day of 1st grade. It was bittersweet because she has been so excited about starting school for about a week now, me...not so much. We've had the best summer...just relaxing, swimming, perfect vacation...I'm not ready for it to end. But as the Bible says, to everything there is a season. And today ushers in a new season...school season.

When Katie started Kindergarten I was excited and sad because we had reached a huge milestone...school! I was ready for her (and us) to take on the adventures of school. But for some reason, as she starts school, I'm a little nervous. Now she has to be grown up, be completely responsible for everything, she's expected to know what to do and how to do it. No more, "she's just a Kindergartner, it's ok." I just pray that my little girl will face challenges with confidence, be a leader, know when to ask for help or challenge herself to find the answers herself. I know that Katie has it in her--I've seen it. But I a mom, I worry, because that's what mom's do. Don't get me wrong--I'm SO excited for first grade, just a little nervous about it.

As WM, Josie, Patrick and I were leaving school, we stopped with another group of parents because the principal was making the morning announcements/welcome. After announcements were prayers. Each day starts with prayer at our school. And that was when I was reminded that my daughter is not just in the wonderful hands of her teachers, she is in the hands of our Father.

How refreshing it is for her to be surrounded by people who will encourage her to pray and be proud of her faith--every day.

What a wonderful place for her to be!

No comments: