Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Shake Your Booty--or Not

As you know, I'm a huge fan of Dancing with the Stars. I love dancing, was a dancer, and actually, I'm pretty darn good at it, too--but it's one of my hidden talents that you will NEVER see. Generally speaking, DWTS is okay for my 1st grader, Katie, to watch. She loves the show--that apple didn't fall far from the tree, at all. Sure, I have to explain a little bit to her about appropriate costume choices and dance moves, but overall, it's a show that she and I can enjoy together.

Usually on Tuesday nights we just kind of watching bits and pieces (it's just the results show, you only need the last 5 minutes). Katie, however, enjoys watching the guest performances and the dancing that goes along with it. So last night when I had to make a quick run to the grocery store during DWTS, Katie told me she'd tell me what happened when I got back.

This is what she told me about what I missed; "The girls were dancing and sticking out their booties and shaking them and their boobies. It was bad. Really not good, mommy. I can't even show you."

So she drew a picture of it instead.


I guess that booty really made an impression. Look at the size of that thing!

Notice the frowny face and arrow pointing at the girl--that's Katie showing how she felt about that dancing.

That's my girl!

Now...I just need to figure out how to explain to her that the Rumba and Tango (her fav dances) probably aren't appropriate dances for 7 year olds. I think I'll teach her to Jive tonight.

4 comments:

Yogi♪♪♪ said...

Glad to hear that you are bringing your daughter up right.

Myself, I would like to see DWTS, American Idol, HGTV, TLC, and all the rest BANNED.

Surely you have a video of you from your dancing days that you could share with the blogging world? Surely.

Carrie said...

Hi! I have not commented here before but am a fellow Oklahoma mom and (sometimes) blogger, but I wanted to say, your daughter is ABSOLUTELY correct in her description. My husband and I are also fans, and the dance your daughter was referring to was done by Shakira and her dancers. We typically DVR the show and watch after the kids have gone to bed, but occasionally we will allow them to watch snippets. Glad my kiddos were not awake during that last night!

Anonymous said...

Aww! You must feel so good that she has a strong (and favorable) opionion about the dirty dance! What a good girl!

And quite the illustrator! I thought it was Shakira without even having seen the show! (The bum bum gave it away)

Laura Marchant said...

Oh that's funny. Yes, sometimes some of the costumes make me think it isn't that family friendly!