Monday, October 25, 2010

Workin' for the Money...Kind of

The RHOK

I decided to McLinky with the RHOK this week and the question for this week is: What is the worst job you ever had?

I had to really think about this because I've really liked most of my jobs. I loooooooved my job at St. John that I quit to stay home with the kiddos (I know, I still need to do a post on that decision), and I loved my job at Philbrook Museum of Art. I even liked the sprinkling of odd jobs I had here and there throughout college. So I had to dig deep...then I remembered it. The job I didn't like. Hated it!

What was it you ask?

A telemarketer.
I know, I know...you can't believe it! I sometimes still can't believe it. It was a very brief stint let me tell ya. Basically this is the story. I was in college and I had friends who had gone to work for this telemarketing firm that had moved into town. They were working very few hours and making great money (for college kids). So my BFF and I decided to give it shot. Here's the problem:

1. I don't like talking on the phone, I mean, I really, really don't like talking on the phone--even to people I love.
2. I don't like asking people for their money or time.

In telemarketing, those two things are required. So, I went through the 2 weeks of paid training. My assignment was to call people with subscriptions to Sports Illustrated and get them to renew their subscriptions. I worked my first night "on the line" and after night #2 I walked out the door and never went back.

And that was that.

Read some more Bad Jobs over at the RHOK.

5 comments:

Mom Mayhem says: said...

Yep been there -telemarketer -Ugh! I'm not sure what kind of job you had at St. Johns but I enjoyed my brief time working at a hospital as a file clerk. Working at Philbrook sounds pretty awesome -Love that place!

ThatsBaloney said...

Haha. I always knew I wouldn't work as a telemarketer. Ick.

Yogi♪♪♪ said...

I don't know if I could be a telemarketer or not. I don't think I could take the pressure.

Real Housewives of Oklahoma said...

I hate trying to sell something.

Plus, I know how I am with telemarketers. I'd probably have my feelings hurt all the time. LOL!

Thanks for linking up today!!

~Mrs. Albright

Anonymous said...

Sheesh, I used to upsell at a credit card company. Something like "I know we just discussed your $40k debt, defaulted interest rate and inability to make your next payment but would you like to add credit protection for just $50?". I'm with you, selling on the phone is the worst!