Tuesday, October 13, 2009

The Almost Moon...A Review

Ok, I promised a new post today...it's still today (8:15 p.m.) and since I've had kind of a busy day, I decided I better just do another book review.

See that book over there on the left...The Almost Moon. That's what I'm reviewing today. I finished it about a week ago, and I'm about 50 pages away from finishing my next book which I'll do a review on later this week (sorry for those who don't like book reviews, I'll try not to do a too many). So instead of posting the current book I'm reading, I figure I'll just change out the photo tomorrow.

Anyway, back to The Almost Moon. This will be quick.

I hated this book. It's basically about a mother/daughter relationship. If you like reading about a woman who murders her elderly mother...you'll like it. If you enjoy reading about a woman who sleeps with her best friend's son (repeatedly using the "F" when referring to it)...you like it. If you like reading about a daughter who is intolerant and not understanding of her mother's mental illness...you'll like it. If you like cuss words and vulgar words used for human anatomy...you'll like it. If you like to read about a person's inability to and desire not to forgive...then you'll like it.

This was a terrible, ugly, hateful book. I couldn't stand the main character, though the author tried to make you sympathize with her. Numerous times I almost put the book down. In the words of Yogi, it is most definitely a "Corner Chucker" (is that the right terminology, Yogi)? If it weren't a library book, I would've put it in the trash.

The author, Alice Sebold, wrote The Lovely Bones which was a big hit (I haven't read it--don't plan to) and has been heralded as a survivor and has healed from her wounds (she was raped in college). I disagree, if someone can write a book about such a selfish, ugly, intolerant, unforgiving character, I think that she must still have some healing to do.

So, on a scale of 0 - 5 stars (5 being "you GOTTA read this book), I give this book a ZERO.

3 comments:

Yogi♪♪♪ said...

Wow, what a review. I'm generally pretty tolerant toward authors but this sounds like a total turkey. What a shame. I read Lovely Bones and liked it but I'm not going to waste time on this.

Yep, "Corner Chucker" is the right term but since Library books are public property I don't actually chuck them either.

Anonymous said...

I don't see anything wrong with letting the kids hold it in the bathtub. Accidents happen! Libraries know that. You better let Baby Lam do it though because if the others are sounding words out that wouldn't be good!

ThatsBaloney said...

Lovely Bones is a good book and you're gonna read it! It's coming out as a movie and book club is gonna go see it. ;)
This means you.

I'm surprised you finished this book. Sounds awful!