Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Getting Old Really, Really, Really, Really Stinks


I don't normally like to complain on my blog, I mean, who really wants to read a whiny, gripey, cry-baby post? Not me. But today...well, I'm going to do a whiny, cry-baby post. Because....

it really, really, really, really, really stinks getting old!

As most of you know, I run. I don't know that I'd go as far to say I'm a "runner." I mean, I don't cater my diet around running and "fueling" or do any of that other crazy stuff that hard core runners do. I run about 4 or 5 times a week.

You probably also know that a couple months ago I turned 40. And I swear to pete, the week I turned 40 things just went to pot. Within 2 weeks I had the ankle thing that ended up with a visit to Urgent Care and one of those aircast things and a prescription for arthritic joints. WHAT? Arthritis? That's not what the doc said the problem was, but he said those meds would help. They did. I haven't taken one in a month. The ankle seems to be fine.

Fast forward a month to this week. Now it's my freakin' knee and hip. For heavens sake, if it's not one thing it's another. I took my arthritis pain medicine for the past few days and it didn't help. The hip thing feels more like a muscle problem, but the knee pain is definitely joint-y feeling.

Really...what's next? Like I said, I don't like to complain, for me to go to the doctor it's got to be BAD--not because I don't like going to the doctor, but because I don't run to the doc with every little twinge of pain I have. If I can take care of it myself, I do...let's try to save on health care costs. You know...Oh, okay...let's not get started on Health Care Reform.

Anyone have any suggestions for these "old people" aches and pains I'm starting to develop? Do you find that Advil works best? Or Aleve or Tylenol? What about any certain stretches to help? I'd love to hear from you--and not just if you're a runner...anyone...suggestions, please.

I'm kind of guessing that dementia is probably next on my list. And don't even get me started on the female things that have started happening since turning 40. Geesh!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh how I love you! I hate that your body isn't feeling too hot. I take glucosamine and when my knee starts to hurt I put an ace knee bandage on it for about a day. It comes back every few months so I guess I'm literally "putting a band aid on it". But it keeps me from the doc. And those meds made me gain 30 pounds so I'd rather cripple than do that again!

Yogi♪♪♪ said...

A lot of people take the glucosamine and swear by it.

Some people take ibuprofen right before they run but you have to be very very careful doing that or you will damage your kidneys.

Running only every other day works like a charm for me. My doctor told me years ago that when one passes 40 you can't run every day. So I run one day and then lower impact the next, like the elliptical machine or recumbent bike and then resistance training.

Everybody is different though.

Dawn said...

Girl, I thought the very same thing when I turned 40!!!!! Everything started falling apart.

I sure hope you get it figured out. Stretch, drink lots of water, vitamins and pray for the best. Ha!