Thursday, April 15, 2010

Livin' on a Prayer

As I'm sure you know (if you live in Tulsa), Bon Jovi was here this past Tuesday night. There are few bands that I liked in high school that I would actually still want to see in concert, but Bon Jovi was one of them. I loooooooovvved them in high school. So to help celebrate my "big" birthday that is coming next month, I decided that seeing a band from my youth would help me feel young. HA! So a group of girls and I went and acted like teenagers for a night. Except we can drink legally now..but they don't serve wine at the BOK Center...so I didn't drink (but I could've, I'm old enough).

Let me tell you...Bon Jovi was wonderful in concert. Haven't you ever been to a concert and the whole time you're thinking "this doesn't really sound like so-and-so." Not the case with Bon Jovi. Jon Bon Jovi has an amazing, pure voice. Keep in mind, the guy is 48 years old and has been doing this for 25+ years, it's amazing his voice hasn't suffered. They had these super cool video screens that would shift and move around...show the crowd, show the band, show graphic that complimented the song...it was cool (you can kind of see if in the photo above).

Bon Jovi has shifted a little bit to the political side with some of their songs, but this latest album seems to have gone back to their roots of singing about hard work and American life. A lot of what they played I hadn't even heard of, but that's okay, they sounded great. And when they did start one of their chart busting songs-the crowd went wild.

Bon Jovi obviously has the right recipe for success-and it shows--in their music and their live shows. I think their success is due in part because Jon Bon Jovi is a smart business man. He understands that the music business is just that--a business...not a big party. He runs his band like a business and he's the boss...and his fellow band members know he's the boss and respect it. I don't think are any (maybe a few) of those bands that burst onto the scene during the "hair band" era are still around and going strong like Bon Jovi.

The concert was great fun...I give it 5 out of 5 stars!

1 comment:

Yogi♪♪♪ said...

Sounds great. Bon Jovi is a band that I didn't care for when they were first popular but have really come to like better as time has passed.

Glad you had a good time.