Friday, December 11, 2009

Ornament Making-Easy!

Today I'm going to share with you a super easy Christmas tree ornament craft that you can make with your kids. It's easy, pretty quick, fairly mess-free and I think you'll actually like the end product. I had my little Kindergarten Daisy Girl Scout troop make these for our December meeting and they turned out pretty darn cute, if I must say so myself. I wasn't sure since I just kind of walked around Michael's craft store and picked up random things--hoping it would come together. It sure did.

So try this at home with your kiddos. My 4 year old could do this, so I would say the age range would be 3-3 1/2 and up.

This is what you'll need:

Clear glass balls (you can get them at Michael's or Hobby Lobby...probably any craft store)

Glitter glue--color of your choice

Shredded paper (it's in the wrapping paper aisle in many colors)

Ribbon

The only prep you'll need to do is putting the child's initial on the ball in glitter glue...let it dry before you have your kiddo start. Older kids can do their own initial.

Step 1: Write child's initial in glitter glue--let dry
Step 2: Pop the little hanger thing off the top of the ball
Step 3: Stuff shredded paper into ball...you can make it in all one color, mixed, layers for a striped look, etc. Be creative. (use a pencil to kind of stuff paper down in the ball when it starts to get full).
Step 4: Put the little hanger thing back on the ball
Step 5: Tie a pretty bow around top of it

That's it!

Here's the finished product hanging on the tree. Pretty!
Super easy--it can keep kids entertained and busy for a little bit while you get things done.

One of my little Girl Scouts was sick and couldn't make it to the meeting so I put all the ornament making items in a bag and wrapped it with a ribbon. So if you're looking for a little something to give to a child for a pre-Christmas gift, this would be good for something like that, too.
Happy ornament making and Happy Friday!

No comments: