Monday, February 15, 2010

Everyday is Valentine's Day at Our House


How was your Valentine's Day? Good, bad, so-so? Ours was like any other Sunday except the silly little cards we handed each other at the breakfast table. I know this post is going to make some people gag. It's going to make some people say "yeah, right," and it's going to make others straight up angry. But, again, this is my blog and I get to say what I want. Right? Right! (except I'm a middle child and middle children are genetically made up to be peace makers and social. Therefore, I will sit around feeling bad about those who I make angry).

On with why it's Valentine's Day EVERY day at our house, here's why...I have a wonderful husband who honestly puts me and our children first in his life. He doesn't take one day out of the year to tell me and show me how much he loves me. He does it every single day. Every day. Each morning when he leaves for work he hugs each of us and tells each of us he loves us. He tells me every day that I am the best thing to happen to him and that he thinks of me all day. He emails me or texts me during the day things that only he and I would find funny or sweet. If I wanted him to make a big deal out of Valentine's, he would. If I wanted flowers or chocolates or stuffed bears, he'd buy them. If I wanted to go out to dinner, he'd take me. But I don't. Just like he knew I didn't want a big production when he asked me to marry him. And just like he knew I didn't want a big wedding. It's not my style to be the center of attention (it's the middle child thing again).

Sure, I like Valentine's Day, but what I like about Valentine's is all the cutesy stuff...because pink is my favorite color and I like making cute things...look here at these cute M&M treat baggies I made for Katie to hand out to her classmates (this is my new little hobby, I don't sell them, I create these because I find it fun--you should see the Easter ones I'm designing...oh so cute!).
(I was having some minor font issues--that's why these kind of have lame, cheesy fonts).

Now, I'm not saying that we have a perfect marriage. Does anyone? But what I'm saying is that no matter what, he loves me, respects me and treats me like a Valentine 365 days a year.

If you don't read Yogi's blog (you should) then you didn't read his thoughts on why couples remain married for 50+ years. Go read his blog, but here's an excerpt of his thoughts on a successful marriage (he and his wife delivered corsages to some of the couples at their church who have been married 50+ years):

"After five years of delivering corsages to these couples you know what I have seen and not seen? These couples have a deep love for one another and quiet respect. They don't talk over each other, they are good listeners. They have smiles on their faces, and lots of pictures of friends and family scattered around the living room. The television is hardly ever on (unless the OSU Cowboys or OU Sooners are playing basketball.) You know what I haven't seen? I have yet to see my first "Type A" personality."

Sounds like something all married couples should strive for. (WM and I certainly have the no Type A thing down...recently I took a quiz on Baloney's blog on your percentage of being Type A or B--I was 90% Type B. Yeah, no surprise to me either).

WM is the love of my life and I am his--everyday of the year. And he tells me--everyday of the year.

St. Patrick's Day is just around the corner...now that's a holiday worth celebrating!!!

2 comments:

Yogi♪♪♪ said...

Great post. Your husband certainly is a great guy. You and he lucky to have each other.

Thank you for the shout out.

ThatsBaloney said...

That is sweet.
What are we type A's gonna do?? Doc and I are both in that category.