Monday, September 8, 2008

A Quickie Book Review

Again, I'm sorry for the book review, if you're not a book review-y type person. But I'm a little limited on my computer abilities today, so I have to do something that just requires me typing text (zzzzzz....boring, I know). Ever since the Starbuck's coffee vs. my beloved laptop incident, I've been restricted to using my 1982 model PC. Oh, it's painful. WEATHER MAN...if you're reading this...please, please, please can I have a laptop? Please??? So anyway...here's a quick book review on a book I finished about a month ago. I'm going to use a more user-friendly format to book review so you don't have to read a bunch of gibberish about a book you may or may not be interested in:

Book: Beautiful Boy: A Father's Journey Through His Son's Addiction. By David Scheff (I think).

Why did I choose it?: Because it came highly rated on Amazon.com (should've been a clue...those people are a BIT more liberal than I).

Did I like it?: Yes and no.

Yes, because: I'm very naive about drug use and it was very eye opening. The author gave his advice on what he thinks could keep a kid off drugs. He didn't claim to have any clinical evidence--which I appreciated, at least he was upfront..."here's how I think you keep kids off drugs...but it's just my opinion." There was also a lot of research done on how meth rewires the brain and the mechanic of the drug on the body. It was kind of interesting.

No, I didn't like it because: The guy is an atheist and whole time he was complaining about how alone he was in this struggle with his son. Hello...there is Someone out there that helps you through this type of thing. The son is an atheist, too, and the whole time he complained that all the rehab programs he was going through kept talking about a Higher Power and that's why rehab wasn't working for him. You can't do it alone, son. Plus, even if you don't believe in a Higher Power, come on, take a little responsiblity for your actions and quit blaming others. Quit being such a whiny baby. So basically I got tired of all the complaining.

Would I recommend it?: Oh, I guess. But don't run out and read it today. Just when you have time.

And here's the word of the day...I really like this one.

cosmopolite:
koz-MOP-uh-lyt, noun:1. One who is at home in every place; a citizen of the world; a cosmopolitan person.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I love your book reviews! When I saw your current read (Shadow Baby) I thought "hmm, hope she reviews it". Hint {bad at subtle hints} hint hint.