Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Praying with a Preschooler

Bedtime at our house is always, ALWAYS chaotic. Baby Lam is still at the age where she gets tired, starts getting fussy and we put her to bed...usually pretty easy. But Patrick and Katie can find any excuse under sun on why it's not quite time to go to bed. But eventually we get there...we read our books...say what our favorite thing of the day is...then get to our prayers. That's where the fun begins. I'll break it down so you can see the differences between the two:

Katie:
Now keep in mind that Katie goes to a private school where praying isn't just accepted at school, it's encouraged. I feel at peace with my little girl at a school where it's okay if Katie just bows her head or folds her hands and says a little prayer if she feels like she needs to talk to God. That being said, she's a 'seasoned' pray-er, and her prayers go a little something like this:

Me: Katie, let's say our prayers.
Katie: No, you say it for me.
Me: No, I don't know what you would like to tell God, just tell Him what you're thinking about and if you are worried about anything or anyone.
Katie: (sigh)..."Ok...'Dear God, thank you for my mom and dad and Josie and Patrick and my teacher and all my school friends and all my ballet friends. Thank you for the green grass and the beautiful flowers and the rain this morning. Please help all the children who don't have mommies and daddies and help them to find a mom and dad who will love them and take care of them, and help all the children who are sick or scared. And please heal my friend Micah (that's her friend from pre-school who has leukemia and is going through chemo). Thank you God for keeping me safe and healthy. I love you God, you are in my heart. Amen.'" Then she perfectly recites the Lord's Prayer.

Pretty good for a 5 year old.

Patrick (after hearing his sister's prayer):
Me: Ok, Patrick, can you say your prayer?
Patrick: Ok...'Dear God, thank you for my new dinosaur I got at the shoe store and thank you for my cars and thank you for my race track and thank you for my frog and my dinosaur book and for Lightning. That's all."
Me: Is there anyone you want God to help?
Patrick: Oh yeah, 'Dear God, please help me be good. Amen in the name we pray.'

Obviously Patrick has his priorities are a little different than Katie's. It always cracks me up to hear what he'll have to say. And you know what, God doesn't care, He's just glad to hear that little voice talking to Him. God knows that we'll get there...these are just stepping stones.

As the song says "Jesus loves the little children..." and I'm sure that the biggest smiles on God's face are put there by sweet children saying their sweet prayers.

Now, speaking of prayer, please keep this family in your prayers. I don't know them, they don't know me, but I've been following their blog for a while now and their little guy is very sick. God works miracles and He works in mysterious ways.

Have a blessed day--and as I've said in the past 'Be thankful for your blessings.'

1 comment:

ThatsBaloney said...

My boys rarely deviate from their regular prayers. Those were cute!